Niche: Mobile banking.
Results: Organic impressions increased by 63% and installs by 25%.
Promoting a strong brand can sometimes be a challenge. We need to look for growth points, think of non-standard solutions and use our entire arsenal of internal developments. Here, we share our strategy for increasing the number of installations of the Monobank application.
Monobank is the first neobank in Ukraine. A bank without branches, queues and chatbots, Monobank has an instant credit limit. It offers spending analytics and cashback for your favorite product groups and brands. All of these features can be found in one application.
Monobank regularly updates the app with new features and uses gamification.
Once these ambitious entrepreneurs had conquered the market with their customer focus, they decided to strengthen their position in the mobile niche. As it's not easy to do this in the competitive niche of Internet banking, the team began to look for new growth points.
Not only that, Monobank approached us at a time of high demand in the niche. It is important to note that after increased demand, the popularity of branded queries always declines.
We opted for ASO optimization, a basic strategy which allows us to increase organic traffic and number of installs per day.
The graph shows the predicted app impressions for branded keywords. This is our internal metric based on the Search Popularity (SAP) data provided by Apple.
Did we manage to maintain growth after a seasonal surge?
Let's talk about this in more detail.
The main objectives of the promotion were as follows.
- Increase app impressions in the App Store in Ukraine.
- Increase app traffic and new customers per day.
First, application competitor analysis was performed. Thanks to our semi-automated mechanism, we could keep track of the maximum number of relevant competitors. Before we started collecting semantics, we identified several dozen apps from competitors. It was necessary to collect all the keywords for which they were indexed, and auto-suggestions in Apple for these queries.
Then, the semantic core was developed.
With the help of an internal tool, we worked with a large volume of search queries in semi-automatic mode.
Metadata was prepared in three language locales used in Ukraine. In addition to Ukrainian localization, we included Russian and English (UK), which allowed us to expand the number of indexed characters in the metadata.
After the audit, we found that we could expand the semantic core by adding relevant and popular queries for which the app wasn't indexed.
Since the name of the application must match the team's marketing strategy, we could only use the 'subtitle' and 'keyword' fields. However, the other two locales allowed us to cover more keywords, since they offered 390 characters instead of 130.
Based on this, we worked according to the following method:
- The semantic core in Ukrainian, Russian and English were expanded and updated. With the help of our tool, we found new relevant queries.
- New metadata was compiled. We added new queries to cover more keywords.
- After the release, changes were analysed. The App Store updates positions fairly quickly. On the very next day, we could draw conclusions about our new positions after the release.
- In the next 4 iterations of the metadata set for their actualization, keywords which did not make it possible to rank in the top 5 positions for new search queries were replaced.
We increased organic impressions by 63% and installs by 25%.
Organic installs and impressions:
We obtained this result by ranking in the top 5 positions, which we managed to achieve for popular keywords.
The app received a larger number of installs compared to the same period last year. While there was a decline in popularity in the previous year, we managed to maintain growth this year.
Growth in impressions and installations:
Murager Sharipov, Senior Project Manager of Enterprise Department and Junior Partner at Netpeak:
A positive result was achieved by a high-quality synchronization and interaction with the client. At the stage of sale and preparation of the audit, we identified common goals and points of growth. We had the same vision and belief in product development. We believed that the app had tangible growth potential. Since the existing locales used an incomplete set of keywords, it was necessary to expand the semantic core and rework the metadata to increase the amount of keywords. Further, the matter remained only for technical implementation, which we managed to successfully cope with.
Anatoly Rogalsky, CMO monobank:
One day, the guys suggested that I look at the possibilities of an ASO-related startup (RadASO). I was curious what kind of utility can be reached for such a simple task. After the demo, I immediately decided on a trial period, because with RadASO I was finally able to divide the costs of ASO by the number of new attracted clients — that meant I could understand the cost of attracting in this channel.
Project team: Radomir Novkovich (Founder), Yuri Gruzinsky (Head of Enterprise Department), Murager Sharipov (Project Manager Enterprise Department), Maxim Melnik (ASO Team Lead), Yaroslav Vorona (ASO Internet Marketer).
- Photo Transfer success story: impressions growth by 272%.
- Raters success story: install growth by 100%.
Mergescapes success story: impressions +166% and installs +60%
After release, we ranked high for relevant search terms and got to the top.
Avtokrisla.com success story: email-marketing investments return in 3 months
In 3 months of work, we reached a positive ROMI. In 4 months, ROMI exceeded 800%.
Megadom success story: how to promote an offline business during the pandemic
Result: in four months, advertising allowed to rent out 1,200 square meters of retail space.